The front porch in this 1940 photo is identical to the sagging, warped, and listing one that we ended up removing. If it was original to the house, it was close to 100 years old. It had a good run, but it was time for something new!
For a couple of weeks we got by with a gangplank as Jay figured out just where the posts would go, dug the holes, and built the framework. Now that the floor is on, she will be working on the columns and railing. We are envisioning a Craftsman-like feel and appearance.
And the first weekend in November had us hosting a painting party. We knew the weather wouldn’t hold forever and we were desperate to get some help painting the house so that it didn’t continue to get code violations from the city for peeling paint.
The new color turned a plain white house into something rather spectacular…
I was amazed at how many people saw it and said, “That is a gorgeous color!”
We still had some painting left at the end of the day, but wow, we could not have done it without help. Thanks to some rather awesome friends and family, we were able to knock this out and give this old girl a real facelift.
The day after the painting party, I found myself gravitating towards the back of The Cottage. A sharp incline has made accessing the back of The Cottage difficult and sometimes rather dangerous. The day before, a neighbor had come by and reminded me that she had some concrete blocks if I still wanted them.
I walked them over six at a time in our wheelbarrow and began to cut into the hillside with my shovel. Between the shovel and a level, I was able to place the concrete blocks into place.
In six months to a year, I will return to it, lay down some pea gravel and sand and re-seat them. For now, they will help shape the earth, making my job easier next year.
I also planted a few iris. The plan is to absolutely FILL the hillside with perennial iris, daylilies, tulips and more. They will help control erosion and provide a profusion of blooms from early spring to late fall.