There is a quote by Richard Branson that I particularly like:
And to that end, I have made a purchase that promises to fill the next few years with hard work, around $55,000 in repairs, and keep us jumping.
You may, or may not, have noticed that the header now reads “The Cottages.” As in, plural, not just one cottage but two!
This old dear is actually four years older than our own home, which sits squarely between The Cottages…
And yes, that west wall is in terrible shape.
We have named this house Cottage East and renamed the other one (our first project) Cottage West.
On the short list for repairs needed:
- New roof
- New windows
- New siding
- Minor foundation repair
We also plan on:
- Rebuilding the front porch
- Tearing out the old porch and doubling it in depth
- New wiring and plumbing
- Drywall and repairs to plaster throughout house
- Removing linoleum and restoring the hardwood floors
- Finishing a second full bathroom/utility room on the main floor
- Upgrading the upstairs bathroom
- Creating an English cottage courtyard in the backyard with the bricks we remove from the sides of the house
In other words? It’s a lot of work and a lot of money.
It will take time. It also slows us down exponentially for completing work on Cottage West since this is a dire issue that needs addressing NOW and we are limited in what we have up front and what we can get in financing.
Nothing worth doing comes easy, and this is never more evident than in the task in front of us. But I know we can do it. Each week we have measurable progress. I can’t wait to share it all with you!